About This Project
Print Pin Share Share

Erbazzone (Chard pie)

Also called scarpazoun in dialect, Erbazzone  is a traditionally pie, a true local speciality from the Reggio Emilia’s town.
It is made by lining a dish with a layer of short crust pastry made from flour (but there might be some corn meal in the pastry), water, pork fat and salt.This is filled with a mixture of chard and spinach, sautéed in onion and lard and flavoured with garlic, parsley and other herbs. Plenty of mature Parmigiano-Reggiano (aged for at least 24 months) is added to the mixture plus breadcrumbs. It is covered with another layer of unleavened pastry, the top is pricked with a fork and sprinkled with lardons and pork fat (classic ingredients from the Po plains) and then baked in the oven.
Erbazzone Reggiano differs from savoury flans made in other areas because it does not contain any ricotta.
Erbazzone Reggiano is a local speciality whose original humble recipe has remained unchanged over the years.
The Erbazzone Reggiano Consortium was founded on September 7th 2007 with the aim of promoting, defending and safeguarding the production and marketing of Erbazzone Reggiano, as well as the use of its name.
Some 1,500 tons of Erbazzone Reggiano were produced in 2006 alone: 80% of this was eaten in the Reggio Emilia, Modena and Parma areas and the remaining 20% was consumed in the rest of Italy. Exports are still on the starting blocks.
Usually served  with Lambrusco wine. 
Course Baking
Cuisine Italian
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 people


  • 2 lb spinach


  • 1 ¾ oz butter
  • 3 ½ oz lard
  • 3 ½ oz onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 7 oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
  • 1 oz olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

For the Dough

  • 5 oz all-purpose flour
  • 3 oz lard
  • oz salt
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 oz pancetta italian bacon


  • Chop up the boiled spinach or Swiss chard and squeeze well to drain them. Prepare a sauté with butter, a little lard and onion.
  • Mix the spinach or Swiss chard with a little garlic and leave to cook for five minutes.
  • When it has cooled, mix with some grated Parmesan, olive oil, pepper and salt.
  • Then prepare some puff pastry with flour, lard and hot water. Lay a sheet of pastry in a large oven-dish and make a layer with 0.6 inch thick.
  • Cover with another sheet of pasta a little crinkled and enlivened with small pieces of pancetta or lard and bake at 350°F until the pastry is golden.
  • Serve while still hot, or warm.